FoodWise TLC is a Christian based charity* delivering food provision, training and education to local communities. We currently work in partnership with churches and community groups in and around Woking and Guildford in Surrey.
Even in these areas, regarded as well off, child poverty is recorded at 15% for Guildford and 16% for Woking. That’s nearly 1 in every 6 children! There are also pockets of deprivation, affecting other community members’ ability to eat healthily, including the elderly, disabled people and those with special dietary needs.
FoodWise seeks to relieve the impact of financial hardship through the provision of food coaching. On our free cookery skills training courses we teach people how to prepare and cook nutritional food on a restricted budget, which helps to:
- Build confidence in food preparation
- Strengthen cooking skills
- Make food budgets stretch further
- Expand nutritional food choices
- Improve health and well-being
All the equipment and food required for each cookery skills session is provided free of charge. Course participants get to take the meal they have prepared home with them.
Our work equips people to feed themselves and their families with delicious and nutritious meals for less.
All the food and equipment required for each cookery skills training session is provided free of charge. Even better everyone gets to take home the meal they cook – enough to feed the whole family! That’s six nutritious meals over six weeks with any special dietary needs taken into account.
FoodWise also seeks to work in conjunction with food banks and supermarkets to provide low cost nourishing meals and provide practical tips on ways to purchase food and utensils on a budget. In addition we can work with local communities to provide holiday lunches for children who normally receive free school meals during term-time so they don’t go hungry.
- Course participants take home the meal they cook to share with their family
- Menus vary and are tailored to group needs (inc special dietary requirements)
- All food & equipment for the course is provided free of charge
- Recipe Cards for low cost nutritious meals are offered
- Store cupboard items provided on completion of the course